Social networking sites - Boon or Bane :
- There is no need to say about social networking sites(SNS) to the present generation. Everyone is much aware about Facebook, Orkut etc which are the examples of social networking sites.
- Social networking was started on the internet in the form of generalized online communities to group the people having same interests and to share their ideas.
- The first recognizable social networking site is SixDegrees.com which was launched in 1997.
- Till now, there are more than 200 social networking sites are in the internet.
- In 2011, based on research, the global average of who access daily the social networking sites accounts is 46%.
- Facebook, launched in 2004, has become the largest social networking site in the world.
- We can keep in touch with friends in today's busy world.
- We can improve ourselves by sharing our ideas,information and knowledge and by discussing with the people, who have same interests, even if they are so many miles away from us.
- Teachers and professors are making groups to extend classroom discussion to posting assignments, tests and quizzes, to assisting with homework outside of the classroom setting.
- Many companies are developing interactive communities that connect individuals to share business needs & experiences.
- Students are making a network with professionals for job opportunities and internships.
- We can find our friends easily, if we lost contact.
- Generally social networking sites have a positive atmosphere. For example, Facebook sends notification, if they are on the top their friend's lists, but it don't send notification, if they were removed as a friend by another person. So there is a least chance for the person to know that.
- Many people are getting addicted to the social networking sites that they are preferring online conversation rather than face-to-face. It'll effect communication skills, relationships and even mental health.
- Some children are playing games on social networking sites with their friends, and they are not at all concentrating on the physical activities. It'll have a effect on their physical and mental health.
- Privacy is an important issue in the drawbacks of SNS. Some people are using other person's personal information for variety of purposes.
- There is a high risk for children and teenagers to be mislead by SNS.
- Gossips and rumors spread soon.
- Spending in front of computer for long hours creates so many health problems.
Social networking sites are a boon in today's world. And it completely depends on us how we use them, whether to improve ourselves or to degrade. But children and teenagers must be guided by their parents and well-wishers as they don't know what is good and what is bad. And everyone, who are using SNS should take care about their personal information. Life will be great, if we spend less time on social networking sites and more time in the real world.