Are Big Dams Necessary :
- In the year 1947, there were around 300 large dams in India. And now, there are almost 4,300 large dams.
- India holds a strong position in the list of dam building countries after US and China.
- Dams are for supplying water for irrigation, prevention of floods and to generate electricity.
- Dams are the main source for water in dry areas.
- It's good to use technology for our survival.
- To construct a large dam, many people have to leave their homes. Since 1947, 4,300 large dams in India have displaced over 42 million.
- Some Dams are occupying forests. Hence causing deforestation.
- As there is no flow of water, water becomes stagnated and causes spreading of water-borne diseases and releases green house gases.
- Big dams cause earthquakes because of the weight of water in reservoirs.
- If a large dam is damaged, it will effect the lives of lakhs of people.
- In the world’s worst dam disaster in China in 1975 when two large dams burst as many as 2,30,000 people died.
- Through 'rainwater harvesting' rain can be caught on rooftops and channelled into tanks.
- Use electricity more efficiently without wasting it.
“no dam” or “dam above all” are both wrong. We definitely need dams because rainy season is only 3 months a year. Govt. must take responsibility for rehabilitation of the people, who are going to be displaced, dams must be built on a strong rock foundation and total dam must be strong enough to tolerate natural disasters.